Happy Birthday, Wimpy Quinn!

Playing out of position, a whim of his manager, Wellington “Wimpy” Quinn headed out to the mound for his major league debut to face the bottom of the Boston Braves order.  He was predictably wild, but it would be hard to tell if he was unusually nervous.  Walking the lead-off hitter and hitting the second batter, Quinn settled down and got six of the next seven hitters out – including aging Hall of Famer Paul Waner.  And so began the end of Wimpy Quinn’s chances of being a major league first baseman.

Wimpy Quinn - Mgr Bakersfield

Wellington “Wimpy” Quinn

Wellington Hunt Quinn was born in Birmingham, Alabama to Allena (Hunt) and William Quinn on 14 May 1918.  Allena was from Alabama, but William was from New Jersey – and one figures that there might be a great story there lost to history explaining how the Yankee landed a southern belle…  William eventually took his family west, settling in Portland.

Wellington Quinn was doomed to be nicknamed Wimpy by his friends.  During his youth, the Popeye cartoon strip was hitting its stride and the burger-eating character J. Wellington Wimpy was a frequent visitor in the popular comic.  Articles covering his semi-pro teams prior to attending college already called him Wimpy, and for years afterward, writers penned J. Wellington Quinn in their articles even though his name was Wellington Hunt.  Quinn never minded, though – he was tall, blonde, handsome, and confident.

By the time Quinn graduated from Grant High School, he was already a local baseball legend – and he was scooped up by the University of Oregon to play both baseball and basketball.  In the winters, he was a backup guard to Ford Mullen.  The two were infielders during the springs and summers.  Quinn played semi-pro baseball for the Eugene Townies, Ballin Finance, the Hop Golds, and a state championship contender sponsored by Reliable Shoe where he played third base next to shortstop Johnny Pesky from nearby Lincoln High School.

Wellington Quinn - 1937 Oregon Yearbook Basketball Team

The frosh basketball team at Oregon in 1937 – Quinn is in the top row second from the left.

Oregon was loaded with talent on both the court and diamond – winning the first ever NCAA Basketball Championship and then the Pacific Coast Conference North Division baseball crown.  Joe Gordon had also come from Oregon and now it was a baseball hot bed – four Webfoot players on that 1939 team would get professional contracts.  Three signed with the Detroit Tigers – seniors Bob Hardy and Busher Brown, and junior Ford Mullen.  (Going with the comic strip nickname theme, Mullen’s nickname in the majors would be “Moon.”)

The fourth was seen as a hitter but a defensive liability – and that was Wimpy Quinn.  Only days after teammates elected Quinn captain for the 1940 Oregon Ducks baseball team, he signed a contract to play third base for the Vancouver Capilanos replacing an injured Wayne McCue.  Giving up his final season of eligibility, Quinn made an immediate impact by homering in his first two games, and then twice more in his fourth game.  He wound up on the Western International League All-Star team and finished the season with a .330 batting average, 21 homers, 30 doubles, and 88 RBI in just 94 games.  Along the way, he set a league record by hitting in 30 straight games.

He also made 44 errors – which prompted a position switch.  In 1940, Wimpy would be a first baseman.

Nearing the end of the season, the Chicago Cubs took an interest in Quinn and offered Vancouver $5,000 for Quinn’s rights.  The deal called for $2,500 to be paid immediately, and another $2,500 once Quinn made the majors.  However, the league president didn’t like that there was no fixed arrangement for the second payment; the deal was nixed.  The Cubs, who had a working arrangement with the Los Angeles Angels, simply changed the deal – Los Angeles signed Quinn from Vancouver instead.

The Angels liked Quinn but chose to see how Quinn would do as a first baseman – and the Cubs weren’t planning on using Quinn in the infield unless he was on the hill.  Cubs manager Jimmy Wilson had done this once before with success.  Plucking a middling third baseman from the Phillies, Wilson helped develop Bucky Walters into a successful and competent major league starting pitcher for the Reds.  Wilson saw Quinn in training camp throwing the ball around the diamond and pulled Quinn over for a chat.  “Okay kid,” Wilson told him.  “You can plan on putting that first baseman’s mitt in mothballs soon.  You’re going to be a pitcher.”

Wellington Quinn Beta Theta Pi President

Beta Theta Pi President Wellington Quinn

Not right away.  Los Angeles had Ripper Collins, so they optioned Quinn back to Vancouver to play first base and learn to pitch a little.  Quinn had pitched before, but not a lot – he was a relief pitcher on rare occasions in high school, college, and semi-pro teams but his main job was to mash.  Quinn would be doubly successful – batting .342 with 27 homers, 39 doubles, 15 triples, and driving in 150 runs in 140 games.  Along the way he met Edna Templeman and they married that August.  In the off-season, he finished his college degree – and was president of his fraternity.

Los Angeles wasn’t ready to make Quinn a pitcher, despite the wishes of Jimmy Wilson, and in spring training prior to the 1941 season, Quinn was given a chance to win the first base job for the Angels.  Batting around .400 for the spring, and displaying a knack around the bag for reaching all kinds of wayward throws, Quinn earned the job.  However, for the first time ever, Quinn started slowly.  Los Angeles pulled Phil Weintraub out of retirement and sold Quinn to the Cubs.  That one slump was just the excuse Wilson needed to start making Quinn a full-time pitcher.

Arriving in Chicago, Quinn was put under the wing of recently retired Dizzy Dean, as well as other Cub flingers like Claude Passeau and Bill Lee.  After six weeks of training, Quinn gave up two runs on a hit in two innings against Boston and was dispatched to Madison, WI for regular work.

Quinn did his best – but he wasn’t very good.  He finished his tour with Madison by going 1 – 4, walking 56 batters in 63 innings, and allowing 55 runs to score.  However, he helped out in other ways.  As a pinch hitter and occasional outfielder, he pounded Three-I pitching to the tune of a .361 batting average and slugging nearly .600.

When called back to the Cubs in September, you’d think someone would have let him play first base or right field or something.  Instead, he made two more appearances on the hill.  Wimpy was swatted around once, and pitched two scoreless innings in his last appearance on September 25, 1941.  He struck out the last two batters he’d face – Chuck Aleno (swinging) and Ray Starr (looking).  Wilson broke out slow motion film and showed how Quinn had made changes and improved his control, then expected him to focus on his mechanics and come back ready to pitch in 1942.

(Edited 19 March 2019 – Flagstaff Films posted film of Quinn pitching to Twitter.  Here’s the link.)

Eugene Register-Guard scribe Dick Strite wrote, “Wimpy is slightly under weight after the long summer campaign, weighing in at 180 pounds.  But with his wife a very attractive little brunette at the cook stove, Wimpy predicts he will soon be carrying 190 pounds or better on his 6 foot 2 big-boned frame…”

Sent back to Madison, and presumably with a few more pounds on his frame, Quinn improved to 7 – 7, pitched 126 innings – but his 101 walks and 6.29 ERA proved only that the Cubs had wasted two years of Quinn’s professional hitting development on some failed experiment to see if Jimmy Wilson could recreate his success with Bucky Walters.

Quinn, in limited at bats, hit .388 for Madison.  Giving up on Quinn the pitcher, Quinn the hitter was allowed to head back to the Los Angeles Angels and play first base.

Quinn played the whole season for Los Angeles – 157 games – but for some reason he stopped hitting in the last two months.  A solid season ended with a thud – he’d bat just .236 with 11 homers and 30 doubles.  His 80 RBI would be third behind veteran Charley English and young prospect Andy Pafko.  Lefty O’Doul provided a good scouting report.  “That kid is a marvel tending that sack,” Lefty said. “He is gifted with an unusually long reach and comes up with everything thrown in his direction.  At bat, he has looked bad on low balls, but he has lots of power.”

Quinn took up his part for the war effort in the off-season, working in a shipyard.  He wasn’t alone – a number of west coast ballplayers took similar jobs.  Those jobs also paid better than many baseball salaries.  When the 1944 season began, Quinn chose to remain in the dockyards building boats for the Navy.  Charlie English did the same – and both wound up suspended by the Angels for insubordination.  Offers to keep their wartime jobs and play in only home games were dismissed by Angels President Don Stewart.


Wartime Shipbuilders - Wimpy Quinn and others

Wartime shipbuilders at lunch.  Wimpy Quinn is at left; Vern Stephens is holding court in the center.  Lou Novikoff is the smiling man in plaid at the right.

Within weeks, though, Quinn was inducted into the service and joined the Marines.  Private Quinn helped with the closing year of the war, and with efforts to maintain and then shut down structures in the Pacific.  He also played baseball with the troops.  Billy Herman, who managed Quinn on a Navy team in Hawaii, proclaimed him ready for the majors after hitting .366 in a military league.  Harry Hughes, a military manager compared him to George “High Pockets” Kelly.

The Angels took Quinn back and made him a first baseman for the 1946 season.  By May, though, Quinn started showing signs of an illness – he played very little after mid-summer, and would miss the entire 1947 season.  It wasn’t announced at the time what kept Quinn out of the game, but papers noted that the illness was something serious that Quinn had first contracted while a member of the Marines.

Healthier in 1948, Quinn got himself in shape and was signed to play for Pocatello in 1948.  A month later, though, he would be back in California – the Idaho club sold Quinn to Fresno in the California State League.  By the end of the season, Quinn’s bat was showing signs of life.  when not playing baseball, Quinn managed a small ranch in Topanga Canyon, CA.

In 1949, Quinn was one of the four veterans on the Bakersfield Indians – California State League rules called for a limited number of veteran players to help show the ropes to fifteen or twenty kids, most of them under the age of 21.  Quinn, now passing his 31st birthday, was mentoring players like pitcher Don Mossi, and pounding the baseball against the kid pitchers.  Playing every inning of the 139 games, Quinn hit a pair of grand slams in the final week, including the game winner in the pennant clinching game.  His .343 batting average was among the league leaders, as was his league record 298 total bases.

Wimpy Quinn - Mgr Bakersfield

Wellington Quinn, 1949.

Temporarily loaned to San Diego, he spent a week there before signing to play with Tacoma in the Western International League in 1950, batting .315, and in one Sporting News Note (24 January 1951), he set a league record with a ten RBI game.  In 1951, he returned to Bakersfield to manage and play first base – but survived just the one season on a team he guided to a record some 30 games below .500.  While there, he participated in the first ever triple play in Bakersfield history.  With the bases loaded, San Jose pitcher Stan McWilliams grounded to pitcher Mike Gazella, who fired to catcher Joe Borich, and then Borich fired to Quinn.  However, San Jose’s Ed Sobczak kept going around third trying to trick Quinn, and Quinn returned a throw to Borich to get the third out.  The Cleveland Indians ended their association with Bakersfield at the end of 1951 and with that, Quinn’s baseball career was over.

Let’s try to give you a picture of the fine first baseman.  As a young man, he was tall, 6-foot-2, and fit with a long mop of blond hair usually combed and slicked back.  He had long arms and could just about fall into full splits to stretch out for throws.  He could run some when younger – as he got older and filled out, he was a bit thicker, but still trim.  He played ball between 180 and 190 pounds.  His arm was very good – he had a major league fastball and was able to throw well from the outfield when asked to play there.  He carried with him an easy personality and confidence.  One writer found him sincere and serious, but not melodramatic, and was focused on his baseball career.  He had one odd habit – if he went into a slump he’d saw off the end of bats.  Sometimes, he’d saw off his bats, and apparently once in a while he sawed off those of his teammates.  Otherwise, he was genial and displayed a natural sense of leadership.

Quinn returned to his Topanga Canyon ranch, but something else returned – illness.  Walt Little noted at the time of his passing, “Very few Bakersfield Indians knew at the time, but ‘Wimpy’ Quinn, who was a big factor in the local club’s only pennant team and who managed the nine in 1951, suffered from cancer.”  Just 36 years old,  Wellington Hunt Quinn passed to the next league on 1 September 1954 under the care of the staff at Sawtelle Veteran’s Hospital in Santa Monica.

In addition to his wife, Edna, Quinn left behind a son, Jack, and two daughters, Jill and Judy.  In that way, Wellington was like his father.  Allena Hunt Quinn was a widow when Wellington was in high school.  Edna Templeman Quinn was a widow with an eleven-year-old son, and two daughters aged seven and six.  Jack Hunt Quinn passed away two months before his 60th birthday in October, 2003.  Julia (Jill) Hunt Quinn married Raymond Jones in July, 1969 barely one month after her sister, Judy Yvonne Quinn died – Judy was not yet 21.







Online Public Records (through Ancestry.com):

California Birth Records, Social Security Death Records and other notes for Wellington Hunt Quinn, Jack Hunt Quinn, Julia Hunt Quinn, Judy Yvonne Quinn.

1930 United States Census

1940 United States Census


“Townies to Meet Bend Elks Sunday For Second Clash”, Eugene Register-Guard, 30 June 1935, Page 10.

“Ballin Finance To Play Albany Here Wednesday Night”, Albany Democrat-Herald, 13 August 1935, Page 6.

“Hop Golds Open Season in Bend”, Bend Bulletin, 19 May 1936, Page 2.

“Frosh Cage Team Takes Road Trip”, Eugene Register-Guard, 12 February 1937, Page 12.

“Rooks Overcome Frosh 43 – 40; Thrilling Game”, Eugene Register-Guard, 28 February 1937, Page 10.

“Frosh and Rook Nines To Clash”, Eugene Register-Guard, 7 May 1937, Page 18.

“Rooks Hand Frosh Double Beating”, Eugene Register-Guard, 16 May 1937, Page 9.

“First Northwest Semi-Pro Playoff Opens Tonight”, Oregon Statesman, 22 July 1937, Page 7.

Daily Capital Journal, 16 May, 1939, Page 6

“Vancouver Signs Wimpy Quinn; Ex-Webfoot Hits Two Homers”, Eugene Register-Guard, 12 June 1939, Page 6.

Strite, Dick. “High Climber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 13 June 1939, Page 8.

“Quinn Clouts 2 More Homers”, Eugene Register-Guard, 14 June 1939, Page 6.

“Wimpy Quinn Homers Named On All-Star Team”, Eugene Register-Guard, 23 July 1939, Page 5.

Frizzell, Pat. “High Climber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 13 August 1939, Page 10.

“Vancouver Sells ‘Wimpy’ Quinn to Chicago Cubs”, Eugene Register-Guard, 22 August 1939, Page 7.

“Vancouver Sells Wimpy Quinn, Star Third Baseman, to Cubs”, The Sporting News, 31 August 1939, Page 5.

“Ban Put on Vancouver Deal Because of Indefinite Terms”, The Sporting News, 14 September 1939, Page 5.

Strite, Dick. “High Climber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 29 October 1939, Page 12.

“Los Angeles Slices Off Some More White Meat”, The Sporting News, 23 November 1939, Page 5.

Fowler, Gail. “Oregon U. Popular With Scouts Since Gordon Went Up”, Galveston Daily News, 17 February 1940, Page 6.

“Youthful Angels Fly Into Favor With Statz”, The Sporting News, 6 March 1941, Page 11.

Ray, Bob. “Weintraub Changes His Mind And Clubs”, The Sporting News, 24 April 1941, Page 12.

Ray, Bob. “Angels Take on Wally Berger In Effort to Balance Attack”, The Sporting News, 15 May 1941, Page 3.

Casserly, Hank.”Hank Casserly Says”, Madison Capital Times, 11 June 1941, Page 17.

Sheer, Harry. “J. Wellington Quinn, Blues ‘Swift’ Hurler, From Cubs’ Rookie List, Is Here To Learn Mound Tactics”, Madison Capital Times, 12 June 1941, Page 19-20.

Burns, Ed. “Chisox Tighten Race But It’s For Rivals”, The Sporting News, 12 June 1941, Page 6.

Strite, Dick. “Highclimber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 6 July 1941, Page 6.

Millard, Howard. “Quinn Yanked in Fifth, But Wins in Debut As Blues Nip Decatur, 8 – 5.” Madison Capital Times, 19 June 1941, Page 21.

Strite, Dick. “Highclimber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 12 October 1941, Page 6.

Old, John B. “Why Cubs Are Not Winning – ‘First Team With Angels’ — O’Doul”, The Sporting News, 24 June 1943, Page 3.

Old, John B. “Latin Touch for Angels from ‘South of Border'”, The Sporting News, 4 May 1944, Page 24.

“Service Dept.”, Denton Record-Chronicle, 18 July 1945, Page 6.

“Bartell’s All-Stars Win”, The Sporting News, 26 July 1945, Page 11.

“Quinn Hawaiian Slugger”, The Sporting News, 21 February 1946, Page

Strite, Dick. “Highclimber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 29 June 1947, Page 21.

Strite, Dick. “Highclimber”, Eugene Register-Guard, 9 November 1947, Page 23.

“Quinn Will Play For Pocatello”, Odgen Standard-Examiner, 22 April 1948, Page 19.

“Pocatello Shifts Two Ball Players”, Nevada State Journal (Reno), 8 May 1948, Page 9.

“Meet Two of Your Indians”, Bakersfield Californian, 13 April 1949, Page 31.

“Indians in Wild Celebration Following Flag Clinching Game”, Bakersfield Californian, 6 September 1949, Page 51.

“Batters Set New Records in Cal Loop”, Bakersfield Californian, 02 November, 1949, Page 32.

Little, Walt. “Little Quotes”, Bakersfield Californian, 30 August 1950, Page 25.

Little, Walt. “Wimpy Quinn to Manage Tribe”, Bakersfield Californian, 11 January 1951, Page 27.

“Triple Play Can’t Bring Indian Win”, Bakersfield Californian, 13 August 1951, Page 22.

“Tribe 3rd Best Defensive Club in Loop; Borich Slips”, Bakersfield Californian, 17 August 1951, Page 26.

“Wimpy Quinn Looms As Manager of Tacoma Nine”, Bakersfield Californian, 3 October 1951, Page 27.

“Quinn, Tribe Set Records”, Bakersfield Californian, 7 November 1951, Page 34.

“Wimpy Quinn, Former Cub Star, Dies at 36”, Oxnard Press Courier, 2 September 1954, Page 18.

“Funeral Services for Quinn Set”, Bakersfield Californian, 2 September 1954, page 50.

Little, Walt. “Little Quotes”, Bakersfield Californian, 2 September 1954, Page 63.

“Obituary”, The Sporting News, 8 September 1954, Page 32.



5 thoughts on “Happy Birthday, Wimpy Quinn!

  1. I wanted to let you know that I’m Jill Hunt Quinn Jones and I’m still alive. You have me dying but I’m still here. I’m 70 years ago lad.

    • I went through my notes and see where I got this information – I have a record that shows your birthdate as 1/24/1947 in Los Angeles county, and a matching record in Ancestry that suggests a death date of 19 July 2002 in Colorado. It’s possible that this record combines that of two different Julia Hunt Quinns.

      Anyway – I’m happy to know you are alive. Would you be willing to share any stories about your dad and mom so I can make my article better? Please write me at paulproia (at) hotmail.com to say hello.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s